Sunday, May 17, 2015

May 17, 1892: Jim Redmond, Gus Robinson (Roberts), Bob Anderson (Addison) and Jim Taylor

Today we learn about two different lynchings from one article. The first involves three men lynched in Georgia and the second covers a lynching in Maryland. These lynchings are reported in The Daily Review (Decatur, Illinois) dated May 19, 1892:


Three Negroes Strung Up in Georgia and One in Maryland.

CLARKSVILLE, Ga., May 18.—Jim Redmond and his two accomplices, all colored, who murdered Marshal Carter of Toccoa, were taken from jail at 2 o'clock Tuesday morning and lynched. They were strung up to a tree just outside the town and their bodies riddled with bullets. The bodies have not yet been removed.

CHESTERTOWN, Md., May 18.—The negro ravisher, Jim Taylor, who on Sunday brutally assaulted little 11-year-old Nellie Silcox, daughter of Farmer John Silcox, near Kennedyville, this county, was taken from the jail Tuesday night by a crowd of nearly one hundred armed citizens and hanged.

The Atlanta Constitution informs us about the murder of Marshal Carter and the names of Jim Redmond's accomplices in the May 11, 1892 edition:


Are Discovered by the Marshal of Toccoa,


Four Negroes Are Now Under Arrest and There May Be a Lynching. A Mysterious Case.

Toccoa, Ga., May 10.—(Special.)—Marshal Carter, who has been the faithful guardian of Toccoa for the past ten years, was found dead in the middle of the main street leading from the depot this morning, shortly after daylight.

The man's head had been battered to pieces, the skull having been broken into many fragments.

Four negroes, well known about town, are under arrest, and there is every reason to believe that they are the murderers of Marshal Carter.

And there is just as much reason to believe that the marshal was murdered because he detected the four negroes trying to blow open the Toccoa National bank vault last night.

Marshal Carter has been a trusted, honored citizen of Toccoa for years and has done much valuable work in preventing and detecting crime. Last night he went about his work as usual. About 3 o'clock this morning Dr. West was called from his bed to visit a very sick patient and went to his office for some medicine. While the doctor was in his office Marshal Carter entered, saying

"Doctor, I think some one has been trying to break into Howell's store. Can't you lend me a light?"

Dr. West had only a candle which he gave the marshal who walked out with it burning. Shortly after that, the doctor encountered the marshal in the street with some one and called to him asking:

"Who is that you have Carter?"

"Jim Redmond," was the answer.

The doctor went on to see his patient, and a half hour later passed near the bank on his way home. Half way between the bank and the railroad the doctor saw some one lying in the street and heard him groan. He called to the man, and receiving no answer concluded that he was drunk. Then he called for Marshal Carter two or three times, but receiving no response went home.

When the dead marshal was found this morning, he was in the same place Dr. West had seen the man whom he thought was drunk.

Shortly after the dead marshal was found it was ascertained that the bank had been broken open, and that an attempt had been made to get into the vault.

An investigation showed tracks around the dead man. Without any trouble the tracks were followed to the railroad, and in an empty box car was found a long piece of iron covered with blood and hair.

That piece of iron proved to be the tool with which the marshal had been killed.

The tracks were followed from the car to Jim Redmond's home. Redmond was there and was arrested. At first he was very stolid and indifferent, but subsequently talked enough to induce the officers to arrest Gus Roberts, Bob Anderson and Will Bruce. The stories these three negroes told were conflicting, and finally resulted in a confession from all that they had robbed the bank.

But every one denied any knowledge of the cause leading to the death of the marshal.

The coroner is now holding an inquest.

While trying to find the names of the two accomplices which were also lynched, I came across an article in The Scranton Republican (Scranton, Pennsylvania) dated May 19, 1892 which gives us more detail of both lynchings:




The Three Men Left Hanging on the Same Tree—A Jail Broken Into in Maryland—A Negro Dragged Out and Hanged.

ATLANTA, Ga, May 18.—Details of the lynching at Clarksville of Jim Redmond, Gus Robinson and Bob Anderson, colored, for the murder of Marshal Carter has been received. They were taken from the jail by a mob estimated at from 100 to 500, who overpowered the Sheriff and his guards. Redmond and Addison [sic] begged piteously for mercy, but Robinson never opened his mouth. The negroes were carried about a mile and a half from the jail and the mob stopped. Three long trace chains and three padlocks were produced, and the chains were locked around the negroes' necks. Then Redmond was made to stand upon a horse under a limb of a tree. A man who had climbed the tree made the chain fast and Redmond was questioned about the killing. He repeated the same story he first told.

"Let the horse go," said the leader of the mob. Some one touched the horse with a whip and he sprang from under Redmond. As the negro went down he exclaimed:  "Lord have mercy on my soul." Addison came next, but he denied all knowledge of the crime. Just before the horse moved, he dropped off and fell the full length of the chain. Robinson was put upon the horse and asked the same questions which had been propounded to the others. "All I know I'll die and go to — knowing," he said, "before I'll tell." The horse was touched and Robinson went down. His neck was broken, while the other two died of strangulation. The bodies were left hanging side by side until 3 o'clock this afternoon. The verdict was death from unknown hands.

Strung Up in Maryland.

WILMINGTON, Del., May 18.—At 9:40 o'clock a body of masked men marched out of the Crawford House yard at Chestertown, Md., armed with a sledge hammer, axes, guns, muskets and pistols and directly to the side door of the jail. The crowd demanded of the Sheriff that the door be opened, but this demand not being complied with the sledge hammer was brought into use and the door was soon broken open. The crowd then rushed inside and the prisoners in the various cells could be heard shouting :  "For God's sake, get the right man." Taylor's cell having been located, the men commenced at once to break the door open. It finally gave way and the crowd rushed in and quickly overpowered Deputy Sheriff Plummer and the others who were on guard. A light was procured and Taylor was seen seated on the bed with his coat and shoes on. Having fully satisfied themselves that they had the right man, a rope was quickly put around his neck and he was pulled down the steps and out of the jail yard into a cross street. When the crowd reached a point between the Rockwell House and the Armstrong Hotel the rope was thrown over the limb of a tree and Taylor was soon swinging in the air. Again and again he was pulled up until life was extinct beyond all doubt. 

Nellie Silcox, the eleven year-old victim of the negro's brutality, died yesterday.

Thank you for joining me and as always, I hope I leave you with something to ponder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment