Friday, April 3, 2015

April 3, 1883: Green and Ingraham

Today we learn about a lynching in Nebraska through the Decatur Daily Republican (Decatur, Illinois) dated April 5, 1883:

Judge Lynch's Speedy Punishment.

HASTINGS, Neb., April 5.—There was a double lynching here Tuesday night, the details of which are as follows:

On the 27th of March last C. M. Millett was killed by three men at Hastings while they were attempting to rob him, being shot in the back of the head. Three men named Green, Ingraham and Babcock were arrested for the crime, and Tuesday night were lynched by a mob at this place. On Friday last a mask was found near the place of the assault which authorities succeeded in matching with a stand cover in the Central hotel, in a room occupied by Green, the man under arrest with Babcock and Ingraham. On Saturday evening Babcock asked for a piece of paper, on which he wrote a confession, in effect as follows:  That their only intention was robbery, for which purpose they ordered their victim away from town to a common, and then, when Millet [sic] ran, Ingraham shot him. On Sunday morning the authorities, fearing trouble, hastened their prisoners to Lincoln. The coroner's jury, not having returned a verdict, refused to do so until they had further examined the prisoners, who were brought back a day before to Howard, within the county, where the coroner and jury hastened. The murderers were brought to this city on the B. and M. train and were immediately driven at a high speed to the court-house, in company with Sheriff Hutchinson and two assistants. While at the court-house the coroner gave a verdict to the effect that C. M. Millett, on March 27, came to his death by a pistol shot fired from the hands of the aforesaid prisoners, who were then arraigned before Judge Work and the verdict read. When the judge asked, "Guilty or not guilty?" Green and Ingraham pleaded "Not guilty" and Babcock "Guilty." An immense crowd assembled around the court-house and masked men were in the back street, denoting that there might be a necktie party before morning. At about 10:30 p. m., a posse of thirty-five masked and armed men came out of an alley-way opposite the room which the prisoners were being closely guarded, wended their way up the court-room, broke in the door, covered the guards with guns, and demanded that they leave the room. The murderers were then bound and gagged and brought down, the lookers on being held at bay and not permitted to follow. The prisoners were taken to the St. Joseph and Western railroad bridge, half a mile north of the depot, and there they were hanged. The lynchers did their work well. There under the bridge, were found dangling in the air the lifeless forms of Green and Ingraham. Babcock was taken to the city by the lynchers and turned over to the authorities.

The lynching party took off the coats of both Green and Ingraham, together with their boots and hats, and, after pinioning their hands and feet, slipped the fatal nooses over their heads, then fastening the other ends to the bridge, they unceremoniously shoved the two wretches off, and in an instant afterwards they were dangling silently in the darkness below. The company was then dispersed. The scene was afterwards visited by curious people, who had been aroused by the occurrence. There is not much excitement and the people generally feel relieved that the fellows have met the fate they deserved.

Thank you for joining me and as always, I hope I leave you with something to ponder.  

No comments:

Post a Comment