Sunday, August 2, 2015

July 8, 1910: Carl Etherington

Today we learn about an Ohio lynching through the pages of The Morning Tribune (Altoona, Pennsylvania) dated July 9, 1910:

Detective Lynched At Newark, O.

Employed by Anti=Saloon [sic] League as Blind Tiger Raider


During Yesterday Shot a Saloon Keeper, Who Later Died in Hospital.


Lynched Man Had Been Serving as Strike Breaker Since Released From Marine Service.


To Give Protection to Six Other "Dry" Raiders Who Are Held in the City Prison.

Newark, O., July 8.—Carl Etherington, 22 years old, employed Thursday night by the state Anti-Saloon league as a blind tiger raider, was lynched here at 10:35 tonight, following a day of almost continuous rioting. The heavy doors of the Licking county jail were battered down and Etherington was dragged from his cell. He was shot, kicked and bruised before the street was reached and the finish followed quickly.

Etherington, early in the evening, confessed he killed William Howard, proprietor of the Last Chance restaurant and former chief of police, in a raid of alleged "speak easies," in a raiding scuffle at 1:30 this afternoon and narrowly escaped lynching at that time. When news from the hospital that Howard had died passed over the city at 9 o'clock tonight the fury of the mob took definite form. Large battering rams were directed upon the doors of the Licking county jail and the deputies were powerless. The doors fell, after nearly an hour's attack.

Crying piteously, Etherington, a curly headed Kentuckian, who has been serving as a strike-breaker since he was released from marine service three months ago, was dragged forth. "I didn't mean to do it," he wailed. His cried fell on deaf ears.

Fearing that the mob spirit would not be satisfied by one victim, Sheriff Linke immediately asked Adjutant General Weybrecht for troops to protect six other "dry" raiders held at the city prison, in another section of the town.

A hurried guard was thrown out in their defense. The mob, after the first taste of blood, seemed to quiet, but it is feared that they will storm the city prison before the night is finished.

Etherington's last moments, while he heard the mob battering down the doors, were spent in praying and writing a note to his parents, residing near Willisburg, Ky.

"What will mother say when she hears of this?" he kept moaning to the jailer.

While the mob was battering down the doors, Etherington was in his cell. In an attempt to commit suicide, he smothered his head in his coat and set fire to it. He was caught in time.

In the melee as the mob was leaving the jail, eight prisoners, held for petty offenses, escaped. One refused to leave.

As Etherington mounted the block ready for the swing he was asked to make a speech.

"I want to warn all young fellows not to try to make a living the way I have done—by strike breaking and taking jobs like this," he declared. "I had better have worked, and I wouldn't be hear now."

The swing of the rope cut him short. He hung there for an hour, while the crowd quietly left. After the first excitement there was no disorder. At the finish there were hundreds of women and little children int he crowd, all eager to accomplish his death. no member of the mob was masked and no attempt was made to conceal their identity. The leaders were personal friends of the dead man.

After the body had dangled from the pole for an hour, swinging before the gaze of a quiet and sobered crowd, which slowly melted away, the rope broke under the weight of the body. The city ambulance rolled up, packed the limp form aboard and hauled it to the city morgue.

Thank you for joining me and as always, I hope I leave you with something to ponder. 


  1. I've been reading about this lynching as I have a friend that lives in Newark OH currently. Other sources claim Etherington was unable to make any statement after leaving the jail as he was beaten too badly inside.

    Thanx for the post.

    1. Thank you for reading the blog and for the additional information.